Apache Seems to Hang

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Tue Aug 12 15:42:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Jeff Kinz wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:42:10AM -0600, Karl Pearson wrote:
>> I am having some issues with Apache on my server. It just seems to hang
>> forever some times. I found this article:
>>
>> http://sitening.com/blog/2006/02/03/apache-hangs-due-to-lack-of-entropy/
>>
>> and read the linked article, but my hardware doesn't support hw_random so I
>> can't use that solution.
>>
>> I did:
>>
>> # service random restart
>>
>> and now Apache seems to be working faster, but it could be a fluke because
>> sometimes it just works okay, and other times it doesn't.
>>
>> Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated. I've thought of just adding
>> a cron job that restarts random every 30 minutes or so...
>
> Karl - Without the hardware support I you have found the a good
> work-around.
>
> PS- regarding your 911 page - I worked on an NSA contract in 1985 or so
> - guess what story one of the old timers told me? :-)
>
> The US govt (The NSA) has known how to use commercial aircraft to take out
> skyscrapers for decades. They even know how to change the planes
> configurations to make it impossible. Simply don't have any door between
> the cockpit and the passenger compartment. The crew cabin gets its own
> exterior door.  Lot cheaper then funding DHS and the air marshals too.

That makes perfect sense. There would still be some vulnerability, but
nothing like we see now.

Karl

Karl L. Pearson
karlp at ourldsfamily.com
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
  My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
  http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
  The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
  the people who are evil, but because of the people who
  don't do anything about it.
  - Albert Einstein
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
  to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---