timeout on dialing

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Wed Feb 6 18:30:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 12:44 -0500, tyche at ica.net wrote:
> how does one increase the timeout on dialing in sendfax?
> i am trying to send a fax, the fax on the other rings 4 times, handshaking is
> started, then sendfax disconnects with an error 10. (no carrier). this is
> iritating.

This isn't sendfax doing this, it's your modem.  You need to tell your
modem to wait for more rings.  This is one of the "AT" commands (I don't
remember which it is...look it up).  Add that command to the modem init
string for sendfax.

> also using the network configuration utiltity from redhat, my internet dialer
> dies from inactivity while i am reading a webpage. how to stop this.

Increase the hangup timeout and enable the "Restart if connection fails"
options in the "Advanced" tab.  I don't use dialup myself, but these
seem to be the most likely things to try.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
- "People tell me I look at the dark side.  That's not true.  I have -
-   the heart of a small boy......in a jar right here on my desk."   -
-                                                    -- Stephen King -