Duplicate name exists on network

Alok Pandey alok.rhct at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 15:54:50 UTC 2008

Hi
I have a  network mix OS  of  approx 30 machine. ( ie, OS as Xp, vista,
Linux all flavour).
I have a DNS and DHCP Services running on Linux box. Recently I added a
Win server 2000 box in the network and also  renamed  the FQDN of some
old box  connected with the same network.
Now when ever I try to access machine with Host name, it shows an error
message as *duplicate name exists on your network.* Whereas  I can
successful access the same machine by  IP, also the machine who's host
name are not renamed , are accessible by name. My new FQDN contains 2
special character "_ " and "-".( eg  hostname is as :
Name_D1_Rhel5-64_IP.xx.com) whereas previous it was simple on the name
of mountain( eg everest.xx.com).

Now I am unable to figure out the cause of problem. Is it because of new
win server machine or dns or use of the special char or something else,
plz help.

Note : I have central anti virus system (kaspersky), which is installed
on Win Server 2000. But the client deployment fail because of this
duplicate name network problem.

Thanks
Alok