Fwd: RHEL AS 4.6 installation fails on a 32 bit AMD

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Jan 29 21:19:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 12:12 -0800, Phani Babu Giddi wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I was trying to install Redhat AS 4.6 on a 32 bit AMD proceessor and
> the instalation fails stating that this hardware configuration is not
> supported by this version of enterprise linux. I got evaluvatoin
> license for AS 4.6 and downloaded the DVD based iso for x86. Based on
> this I thought that it should work on AMD too.

The "i386" stuff should run on pretty much any machine.  If you got the
"x86_64" version, that's 64-bit ONLY.

> Now is there a way I can find out exactly for which "hardware" the
> installation failed. Could it be because of RAM size ? What are the
> other types of checks that the instalation software makes to determine
> hardware compatibility. The system I am installing AS 4.6 is not a
> high end machine and its required for experimentation.

You need at least 256MB for a GUI install, 512MB is better.

> When I take a look at the install log in one of the virtual consoles
> ( Ctrl + Alt + F3) I see the following messages...
>
> legacy-software-development refrences package compact-libstdc++-295
> which doesnt exist.
> compact-arch-support refrences package libehca which doesnt exist.
> the similar message was shown for these packages open Cryptoki,
> compact-libgcc-295, compact-libstdc++-295, elilo, s390utils,
> ppc64-utils, kernel, kernel-smp, kernel-largesmp, kerne-hugesmp
>
> Any idea what is going on ?

It sorta looks like you're trying to install a 64-bit OS on a 32-bit
machine.  You want the i386 version, NOT the x86_64 version.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -