Problem installing RHEL 4 - problem with RAID and/or SATA drives?

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Fri Mar 7 18:08:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 12:37:58PM -0500, Dehart, Kenneth R wrote:
> This is what I have:
>
>      Dell Optiplex 755
>      2.2 GHz Core2 Duo CPU
>      2 GB RAM
>      250 GB mirrored RAID configuration using (2) 250 GB SATA drives
>
>      RedHat EL ES RHEL 4 2.6.x on the CD set I have
>
> When I try to boot from the Install CD, I just get a blank screen.  I can install Windows with no problem so I know it's not the hardware.  Is this a known problem and does anyone have a solution for it?
>
> Thanks in advance for any solutions of suggestions you may have to offer.

At what point are you getting the blank screen?

Are you getting the initial screen that lets you hit Enter to proceed
or "linux text", etc.?  If so, at the prompt, put "linux text" for a
text-mode install.  Could be that the installer does not grok the
newer video hardware.

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do not resent his
rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the
son he delights in.  Proverbs 3:11-12 (NIV)