Firewall is loosing it's marbles

Waldher, Travis R Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com
Mon Mar 24 18:48:36 UTC 2008

Honestly, I'm not sure.  Here's the table, it's been holding strong
since I went to static IP's.  Host names and IP's modified to protect
the guilty.

Chain INPUT (policy DROP)

ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             host01           tcp
spts:login:65535 dpt:ssh state NEW,ESTABLISHED

ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             host01           icmp
echo-reply state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED

ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             host01           icmp
echo-request state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED

DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.1.0/24     anywhere

ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.2.0/25      anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)

ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

ACCEPT     tcp  --  host01            anywhere            tcp spt:ssh
dpts:login:65535 state ESTABLISHED

ACCEPT     icmp --  host01            anywhere            icmp
echo-reply state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED

ACCEPT     icmp --  host01            anywhere            icmp
echo-request state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED

DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.1.0/24     anywhere

ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.2.0/25      anywhere

Host01(eth0) would essentially be on the internet, eth1 on 192.168.1 and
eth2 on 192.168.2 - all dhcp.  It will allow SSH to come in.  Once on
the box you are free to roam 192.168.1 and 192.168.2.  But, what you
can't do is get back out to the internet once your in.  It's the roach
motel.

What would happen, I would set the tables up and approximately 24 hours
later the tables would be completely trashed.  I could still ping host01
from the internet, but I couldn't ssh in.  Reapplying my rules after
zero'ing out the tables was the only thing that cleared it up.

What made me wonder about DHCP was looking at the DHCP requests on the
private side of the network just suddenly started producing errors.  The
private side was also screwed up in iptables.  I took that, figured
going to static wouldn't hurt as a test, and what do you know, it's been
stable since.

I agree DHCP + Firewall is pretty common, but perhaps my implementation
of firewall was too uncommon for the software to handle it.