atime, ctime, mtime, what time?

gerrynix gerrynix at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 19:00:04 UTC 2008

  What changes need to occur to affect each time on a file or directory?
So far I have:

Atime:
read a file
modify the permissions
modify the ownership
create new file

Ctime:
modify the permissions
modify the ownership
modify the first level of contents of a directory
create new file

Mtime:
modify the contents of a file
create new file

This is based of the googling and limited testing I have done.

Which begs a question, wiki, for what it's worth, states that if a
permission or ownership change is made that both the atime and ctime
will be modified. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stat_(Unix)

How can a ctime be newer than an atime?

Thanks,
Travis

Interesting... I changed permissions on a file just now, that hadn;t been touched in a few days. ctime was updated but not atime or mtime.

  $ find . -ctime -1 -print | grep filename
  The file was reported
  $ find . -atime -1 -print | grep filename
  The file was not reported
  same as above for mtime

redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com