Help an IPTABLES neophyte please

Waldher, Travis R Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com
Thu May 8 15:52:15 UTC 2008

I've got a machine acting as a portal between a public network and a
private network.  Right now, all you can do is ssh in to the box from
the public side, and then do as you please on the private side.  You
cannot ssh or form any other connection that wasn't initiated by a
client on the public side of the machine.  Think of it as a roach motel.

Well, I need to be able to pull information from an LDAP server that is
on the public network.

How do I setup my firewall so that it will first allow outbound traffic
on port 389 (any others?) and second forward any requests it receives
from other machines on the private network on.

Thanks,

Travis