Fail2Ban?

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Mon Sep 29 00:32:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 06:25:21PM -0600, Karl Pearson wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, Bob McClure Jr wrote:

> >>Very nice. I'll give that a try. I do have comment fields now, but adding
> >>one that is blank will be a dead giveaway.
> >
> >Umm, I don't understand.  How so?
>
> Because it's hidden. And the ones I've gotten have all the fields filled
> in. The bot doesn't know when to stop, so when I get the field that should
> be empty, and isn't, I take action. Do I have that right?

Oh, okay, I understand.  It's a dead giveaway to you.  Yes, you have
it precisely right.

> >To real humans it never shows up.  It's not there.  But to bots that
> >simply read HTML and don't grok CSS, it's another textarea field.
> >I suggested putting it ahead of any other textarea fields, because I
> >don't know if they fill in all textarea fields, or the first one they
> >find, or what.
> >
> >>So, SysAdmin, huh? I've been a subscriber to Linux Journal for years, but
> >>not SysAdmin. Send me some info for them.
> >
> >Alas, they ceased publication July '07, however their website is still
> >up at
> >
> >http://www.samag.com/
> >
> >and they still advertise their back-issue CD-ROM which covers
> >1992-2006, which also includes _The Perl Journal_ from 1996-2002.
> >
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Karl

> >Cheers,
> >--
> >Bob McClure, Jr.
> ---
>      _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
>     _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\\<._
>    _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
>  _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
> ---
> http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
> ---

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
[S]o Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people;
and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring
salvation to those who are waiting for him.  Hebrews 9:28 (NIV)