yum-updates versus rhnsd

engin maden enginmaden2006 at yahoo.com.tr
Thu Oct 1 13:17:26 UTC 2009

if you have a subscription and if you have entitled your machine to red hat network (rhn) you can use yum instead of up2date and update your machine with the latest official releases of red hat.

also you can update your kernel and so your RHEL Server 5.x version to the latest release by using just "yum update" command if you have a subscription.

but without a subscription you can connect your machine to various repositories and get the updated packages.however in enterprise level this is so risky as the package and kernel versions may be in beta level or may not be stable versions or may cause problems with your red hat version or anything else and if there is a kernel bug or any vulnerability there will be no one responsible for the situation,other than you.

so if you are a home user you can use yum or up2date with any repository for red hat.but it may not be feasible to use red hat in this level so if you are an enterprise level user it is highly recommended that you get a subscripton for your red hat servers.

--- 25/09/09 Cum tarihinde Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> şöyle yazıyor: