Can No Longer See Networked Printer

Micros50 micros50 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 20 09:19:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 14:44 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Micros50 wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a small, in-house network consisting of several Linux machines
> > (running Fedora). One of the machines is attached to a printer and the
> > printer is published via Cups so it can be seen and utilized by all the
> > other machines on the network.
> >
> > Thus far everything works great. All machines can see the printer and
> > all machines can print to it.  That's just the way it should be...
> > EXCEPT!!!
> >
> > Except for one machine downstairs. It was seeing and printing to the
> > printer just fine. Now, all of a sudden, over the last couple of days it
> > no longer see's any networked printers. It was accessing and printing to
> > the networked printer just fine up until a couple days ago.  Now, it is
> > suddenly the only machine on my network that can't see or access the
> > printer.
> >
> > So, where do I begin to troubleshoot this problem ? The only possible
> > change that may have occur ed over the last couple of days is that Cups
> > may have been updated during a routine yum update. But all my other
> > machines have been updated similarly and they are not experiencing this
> > problem. Furthermore I checked the config files and everything looks
> > okay.
> >
> > Any ideas ? The machine that is having the issue is running Fedora 11.
> > But, so are most machines on my network, and they are having no issues
> > with printing.
>
> Obviously something changed.  Was the machine updated automatically?
>
> Did you check its firewall settings to make sure printing is allowed?
> You can try turning off iptables ("service iptables stop" as root) and
> see if it works.  If so, make sure you allow IPP through its firewall
> (TCP/UDP port 631).
>
> Is selinux enabled?  Try "setenforce permissive" to see if that's it.

Okay. selinux is disabled but no network printer. I updated the machine
a week or so ago so, it is possible that it could have happened after
the update but I may not have realized it since I am not the regular
user of that particular machine.

I didn't try munging around with iptables yet. I'll try that tomorrow
and let y'all know what happens.

The only difference between this machine and the others is that this
particular machine is connected to the network via wireless and the rest
of the machines are connected via copper. However, it is still attached
to the same network, it see's all other stuff across the network and, it
was seeing the printers until a few days ago.

In any event, if I cannot get it to work I'll report back with some more
detailed info, messages, etc.

John