problem installing Fedora 8

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sun Sep 6 01:41:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, September 4, 2009 10:56 am, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Karl Pearson wrote:
>> On Tue, September 1, 2009 9:30 pm, Buz Davis wrote:
>>> Rick Stevens wrote:
>>>  >Have you tried looking at the other consoles (ALT-F2, ALT-F3,
>>> ALT-F4)
>>>  >see if there's some specific error when it croaks?
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion, Rick.  I was unaware of these.  I have
>>> checked them and found messages to the effect that the processor is
>>> not
>>> supported.  These actually referenced a processor later than my K6.
>>> I then did some googling and found that apparently the first release
>>> of
>>> Fedora 8 did have a problem with AMD processors.  This was apparently
>>> fixed in what some sites refer to as "respins", but they don't seem
>>> be available at this time.
>
> Uhm, try F9?  Download the LiveCD and try it.
>
>>> I went ahead and ordered a copy of CentOS and am mainly counting on
>>> that.  However I also bought an intel-based pentium system at the
>>> local
>>> NearlyNew store thinking that perhaps I could install Fedora 8 on
>>> that.
>>> I had to blow away a broken XP system (I now have perhaps the hottest
>>> MS-DOS box around) and I am getting farther into the install before
>>> problems crop up, but so far there have been problems.  The CDs pass
>>> the
>>> media test, but they always seem to fail somewhere in the install
>>> itself
>>> with "probably invalid media".  Perhaps the CD drive needs cleaning,
>>> or
>>> perhaps the hard disk is flakey - I just haven't had a chance to
>>> check
>>> in any detail.
>>>
>>> I haven't totally given up on F 8  but as I said I am waiting for
>>> CentOS
>>> (which sounds like the system for me - I want something reasonably
>>> up-to-date but not necessarily leading-edge).
>>
>> I'm not sure you can get any Fedora release that isn't "leading edge"
>> because that's the primary purpose of the Fedora releases.
>>
>> If you are worried about running on older hardware, you might just
>> download the live/install CD of Damn Small Linux and give it a go. It
>> will run on most anything from a 386 with 8MB of ram, to fairly modern
>> hardware. If you need Flash plugins, etc. you won't have much joy,
>> however. The DSL dev's have never gotten it to work, and it's not on
>> the
>> docket as far as I know.
>>
>>> Is it possible to copy the CD images to another computer on the
>>> network
>>> and then start the install from the target machine referencing the
>>> network as a source for the images ?  I do have a network, but
>>> nothing
>>> fancy (though I think the "new" pentium computer has a cdrw drive).
>>>
>>> Man, I hope you don't live anywhere near those brush fires!  I know
> [...]

And all the blood would be the wolverine's, not yours...

KLP

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---