How can I upgrade kernel on a Redhat Linux machine

Chen, Douglas Douglas.Chen at micrel.com
Tue Sep 15 20:15:10 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have installed a CAD tool and it complains when launched that the
kernel and glibc on this Redhat Linux machine is too old and need to be
upgraded. I  need help to figure out how to upgrade both of them.

This is the current configuration: Redhat Enterprise Linux WS release 4
(Nahant)
                                             Kernel 2.6.9-5.ELsmp
                                             glibc 2.25

I need to upgrade at least to Kernel 2.6.9-42.EL and glibc 2.3.4

Please kindly let me know where I can download the kernel and glibc and
how I can upgrade them. Also, will the kernel upgrade affect the
software currently installed and running without problem? Do I need to
compile the new kernel?

Thank you very much for your assistance in advance.

Douglas