RHEL 6.0 source code build error

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Dec 10 17:55:28 UTC 2010

On 12/09/2010 10:22 PM, ShibuThomas wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have installed RHEL 6.0(30 days evaluation version) on my PC.It is
> working fine.
> But I tried to compile source code it is getting failed:
>
> The method I followed to compile RHEL6.0 kernel Source are:
>
> 1) I take the package kernel-devel-2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64.rpm and extract
> it into my directory
> 2) From 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64 directory,I executed make command
> I got the following make error
> " SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `missing-syscalls'. Stop.
> make: *** [prepare0] Error 2 "
>
> please let me know how can I rectify this problem

Note that kernel-devel RPMs are NOT the kernel source code, but rather
the makefiles and such necessary to build modules AGAINST the kernel,
for example, a new device driver of some sort.

If you want the kernel source code RPM (the actual kernel source), then
you must download "kernel-2.6.32-71.el6.src.rpm", install it, then use
rpmbuild to configure and build it.

It appears you've never done this, and the instructions to build a
kernel from the source RPM are a bit more complex that I'd care to go
into here.  I suggest you install rpmbuild and read the manpages for it
or find resources on the web about rpmbuild before you go and try to
build a kernel.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -