Re: boot problem

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob McClure Jr" <bob bobcatos com>
To: "Getting started with Red Hat Linux" <redhat-install-list redhat com>
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:13 PM
Subject: Re: boot problem

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 06:04:37PM -1000, blann wrote:
Dear Mr. McClure,
Many thanks for the kind reply. Before confessing sins since, I put
in the rescue CD, and reply to
find linux was: 'you don't have any linux partitions'
I confess that I tried to run a live disk ubuntu9.10, then did an
install . So partition magic 8.0 tells me that
my HD looks like:
PARTITION  TYPE   SIZE  USED    UNUSED   STATUS     PRI/LOG
local[C]            NTSF    132GB
active primary
Local disc[*]     linux ext3  103mb 0         0
none "
[*]                   extended     20gb   20gb   0
" "
Local disk[E]    ntfs            10gb     6.6    10gb             "
logical
disk[*]            linux ext3     9.5gb    9.5gb  0
" "
swapspace2[*] linux swap 470mb 0.0 470mb " '

Any suggestions as to what I might try?

Sorry about the delay in replying.  I was hoping someone with more
knowledge than I would pipe up, the salutation notwithstanding.

Apparently your aborting of the update hosed the partition table.  Had
you not installed Ubuntu, I would have said that a guru (and not I)
could perhaps reconstruct your partition table.  But with your fresh
installation, all bets are off.

On the UBUNTU install, the claim was that it would find blank space on a partition, create a new ntfs partition, and install ubuntu there. I note a new ntfs partition of 10gb, adjacent to a 9.5 gb native linux plus linux swap partitions- so wonder if this is not my fc6 installation? Then I need to know what to try to open that partition (9.5gb native linux)? One thought was to use the linux update option of the install- assuming fc6 supports this, install a few ptions only, and hope that I will then be given the option of re-installing the lilo boot menu. If this fails- or likely even if it does not, I expect to try a fc12 install on a second, presently unused HD on my computer- or does the community advise other than FC12? My main use is fortran compile/execute, LATEX, xmgrace- but things I presently do in WinXP might migrate to linux depending on available software (photo,video editing).
 The UBUNTU installation used was 9.10- which I believe is new.
 Will FC12 install on an ntfs partition? Any decrease in performance?
Thanks to the community for support-  Marshall

If I try to do a linux fc6 re-install, might this work?

To reconstruct your old installation, no.  Further, FC6 is way old and
no longer supported.  I'm not up on Ubuntu versions, but if it's less
than a couple years old, it's a much safer installation that FC6 would
be.

If you want to go back to Fedora, get Fedora 12.  If you have
high-speed always-on Internet, just get the first CD, and it will do
most of the install from Internet resources, saving you the inevitable
updates after the install.

If you want a free Red-Hat-ish distro that won't end-of-life in 12-18
months, download and install CentOS 5.4, a free superset of RHEL 5.4.

Will reinstall find the way to the linux partitions?

No.  I think you've overwritten them with Ubuntu.

Thanks for any help on this-  Marshall
p.s.-the ubuntu was installed on the second ntfs partition which it
created from linux space-