Second HD on RHEL 6

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Nov 17 18:29:32 UTC 2010

On 11/17/2010 07:18 AM, Nicosia Gaetano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed RHEL 6 on a server that has 2 Hard-Disk. The redhat
> setup has installed the software on sda.
> 1) How can use sdb ?
> 2) In disk management I found these options for Unit format:
> - Master Boot Record
> - GUID partition table
> - No partition
> Wich option I must to use in order to format the disk ?

Before you do anything, I suggest you read the System Administrator's
Guide section about disk management, or nothing I say will make sense to
you. :-)

I'd use the GUID (I think you mean GParted) thing and put a single
partition on the drive that uses all of its space.  I'd make that an LVM
PV (physical volume) and either add that to an existing VG
(volume group) or create a new VG and place it in there.  From there,
you can carve out LV (logical volumes) of any size you need.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
-               The Theory of Rapitivity: E=MC Hammer                -
-                                  -- Glenn Marcus (via TopFive.com) -