Lost FC6 Partition (was Re: This is just amazing...not)

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Tue Sep 7 05:45:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, September 6, 2010 9:53 am, blann wrote:
> Aloha Karl,
>   Below some answers I may have failed to make in text ( and thanks for
> your
> input):

If you are seeing Grub, then you aren't booting from a Live CD, which you
would have to do to use the disk tools necessary to see what partitions
can be found.

I suspect, sadly, that your FC6 partition was over-written by the Ubuntu
install.

>>> Is there a way to repair or replace what I am assuming is a damaged
>>> mbr/grub
>>> loader due to having
>>> turned off a hung up XP with AC button?
>>
>> as I wrote above: fdisk /mbr
> FDISK sounds like what I may have used years ago to repartition; is it on
> disk 1 of my FC6
> install?

I doubt it. FC6 wasn't a live CD. You can use fdisk from any version of
Linux to see the partition table, however, and that may be what you need
to do.

Just run Ubuntu and run fdisk as root (sudo fdisk should work). If you
have more than one hard disk in the PC, you will want to run it against
each disk to see what partitions.

FC6 defaulted to ext3, I believe (that may have been FC8???). Rick will
know for sure, as well as a few others on this list. It's been a while
since I happened on an FC6 install to check.

In any case, I would recommend that if you are going to use a multiple-OS
PC, that you get a new hard disk for each OS, unless you know you'll be
using one very sparingly. If that's the case, just run that OS in
VirtualBox and be done with it. That's how I run XP at work and home. I
think I boot them up about once a week, or less.

>>> I have, via generosity of an active member of the group, an FC12 set of
>>> install disks; have hesitated
>>> running this for fear I would overwrite /home directory, whereas the FC
>>> Bible advises that simple
>>> re-install of FC6 should not do this.
>>>   Any comments greatly appreciated! Thanks- Marshall

You can always download new ISOs from any distributions downloads page,
and burn them to DVDs or CDs and take them for a test drive. I use CentOS
and FC9 on my servers, and Linux Mint (a derivative of Ubuntu, without all
the restrictions) for my desktops and laptop.

Karl