Remove ehci_hcd

redhat at buglecreek.com redhat at buglecreek.com
Tue Jul 12 20:59:04 UTC 2011

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:04 -0700, "Rick Stevens" <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:
> On 07/12/2011 11:40 AM, redhat at buglecreek.com wrote:
> > I would like to prevent ehci_hcd from loading at boot.  Doing a modprobe
> > -r will remove the module, but it re-appers when rebooted.  I could put
> > the command in rc.local, but I would rather not.  I have tried the
> > following things, but it always gets loaded at boot:
> >
> > Added "blacklist ehci_hcd" /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> > Tried "alias ehci_hcd off" to modprobe.conf
> > Tried "inistall ehci_hcd /bin/true" to modprobe.conf
> > I'm seems to be  getting loaded with the initrd.img file. I see the
> > module directories  when I mount the image to loop.  I tried creating a
> > new initrd.img, but I havn't been able get the ehci_hcd module to not
> > show up in the newly created initrd.
>
> It would help if we knew what version of the OS you're running.
> Assuming something like RHEL 5.6, then you should remove what you did
> before.  Next you should add "blacklist ehci_hcd" to the end of the
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist" file.  Then remove the module from the
> running system via:
>
> 	# modprobe -r ehci_hcd
>
> Finally, you need to rebuild the initrd image.  This is usually done by:
>
> 	# cd /boot
> 	# mkinitrd -fv initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`
>
> Reboot and that should do it.

Sorry, meant to give RH version of 5.6.  I had done the steps you
outlined above and the initrd created still loads the ehci module.
Removing the module and then doing a lsmod comfirms that it is unloaded.
 Created the initrd again using the verbose switch as you suggested and
I see:

Looking for deps of module ehci-hcd
Using modules:
/lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko
(among others)
copy from
`/lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko'
[elf32-i386] to `/tmp/initrd.wb7347/lib/ehci-hcd.ko' [elf32-i386]
Adding module ehci-hcd

I did a strace as well, but I can seem to see why it continues to load
the module in the new initrd.  I even tried using "blacklist ehci-hcd"
(instead of blacklist ehci_hcd)  in all the /etc/modprobe.d/ blacklist
files and no change.