Changing back to "Re:Remove ehci_hcd"

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Jul 13 17:24:27 UTC 2011

On 07/13/2011 09:36 AM, Vikas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find Attached herewith is the updated Profile of mine.In case any
> more detail is required, I can be reached at 9891830380.

First, NEVER reply to a message digest.  You should either reply to a
actual message in the thread of interest or start a new thread.

Also do not reply to a thread and then change the subject to try to
create a new thread.  That doesn't work.  You must create a new thread
by creating a new message--not a reply.  Doing this sort of thing breaks
message threading in mail clients.

The only time it's proper to change the subject of a thread is to make
it more descriptive such as "Solved:".

>> Sorry, meant to give RH version of 5.6.  I had done the steps you
>> outlined above and the initrd created still loads the ehci module.
>> Removing the module and then doing a lsmod comfirms that it is unloaded.
>>  Created the initrd again using the verbose switch as you suggested and
>> I see:
>>
>> Looking for deps of module ehci-hcd
>> Using modules:
>> /lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko
>> (among others)
>> copy from
>> `/lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko'
>> [elf32-i386] to `/tmp/initrd.wb7347/lib/ehci-hcd.ko' [elf32-i386]
>> Adding module ehci-hcd
>>
>> I did a strace as well, but I can seem to see why it continues to load
>> the module in the new initrd.  I even tried using "blacklist ehci-hcd"
>> (instead of blacklist ehci_hcd)  in all the /etc/modprobe.d/ blacklist
>> files and no change.

You're correct, the actual name of the driver is "ehci-hcd.ko".  It
wouldn't hurt to have both "ehci_hcd" and "ehci-hcd" in blacklist.  My
guess is that there is another driver that requires ehci_hcd and THAT'S
what's causing it to be loaded.  I don't know if blacklist is consulted
in that case.

While the module's loaded, do a "lsmod" and look to see if there's
anything in the "Used by" column for ehci_hcd.  Note that it can also
be loaded by things such as hidden drivers (pata_generic loading libata
even though pata_generic isn't actually being used) or UIs such as
Gnome (for adaptive technologies and the like).  These can be difficult
to sort out.

When I start thinking about this, unless the module is causing issues or
you're really tight on memory there's really no reason to try to get
rid of it.  It's not that big (30K or so) and it won't hurt anything
having it in the kernel.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
-     Is that a buffer overflow or are you just happy to see me?     -