where could I get RHEV6

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Aug 24 16:45:30 UTC 2012

On 08/24/2012 09:25 AM, lei yang uttered this comment:
> Thank for this info, I have another question
>
> Q1:Is there any difference for RHEL6 and RHEV6, Is there a full name?
>
> Q2:Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago) is RHEL6 or RHEV6?

The family name is "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" (RHEL) and the version
6 of it is called "RHEL6". Red Hat does offer a "Red Hat Enterprise
Virtualization" system, but I've never heard it referred to as "RHEV".
That doesn't mean it isn't called that, I've just never heard it.

If you're looking for just Linux and don't care about the
virtualization system, note that there really are two different
"classes" of RHEL, "desktop" and "server". You choose what you want.

To expand on what Bob said, CentOS is built from the same source code as
RHEL, but CentOS changes the branding, logos and such before
publishing. It tracks RHEL quite closely, but updates, patches and such
lag behind RHEL by as much as two weeks or so as they have to wait for
Red Hat to push out the source RPMs, then do the rebranding and such
before they can release their versions.

RHEL is a commercial product (you must purchase it) and it does come
with support. You can also purchase and/or increase the support levels.

CentOS is a community effort and is free. Note that it does NOT have
support beyond the usual mailing lists, chat rooms and such.

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Bob McClure Jr <bob at bobcatos.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:17:02PM +0800, lei yang wrote:
>>> where could I get RHEV6, it there a free download link, if not how
>>> could I get it?
>>
>> If you must have real Red Hat, you must pay for it.  You can get that
>> here <https://www.redhat.com/wapps/store/catalog.html>.
>>
>> If you can settle for a Red Hat clone, then you want CentOS which is
>> repackaged Red Hat with CentOS branding.  Same stuff; different name.
>> Get it here: <http://www.centos.org/>.  Click on the "Downloads" link
>> on the menu bar.
>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Lei
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
>> bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
>> "Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your
>> great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you."
>> Jeremiah 32:17 (NIV)

-              Never eat anything larger than your head              -