Uncorrectable Error

Hi,

unfortunatelly, today I woke up with a problem in my RH 5.2 machine
(well the only one I have !!!)

I boot the machine, with LILO and after showing most of the typical
startup messages, I start getting a series of messages that look likethe
following and then got "frozen", so I could not get into the Linux
system.

Here is my info, I hope someone can help, asap

hda:dma_intr:status=0x51 { DriveReady Seek Complete Error }
hda:dma_intr:error0x40 { UncorrectableError}, LBASect=12500984, sector
34478
end_request : I/O error, dev03:0a, sector 34478
similar lines are repeated, with different sector numbers !!!.........
INIT : Id "1" respawning too fast : disabled for 5 minutes
INIT : Id "2" respawning too fast : disabled for 5 minutes ......

(Sorry if the error message is not completely accurate, I wrote it by
hand !!)

I am able to get into Linux into rescue mode, using my boot  and  rescue
disk, however, I have no idea what to do while being there !!!

 As a matter of fact, I am writing by hand the error messages because
have no idea how to capture the screen messages if the machine is
completely 'frozen' .I may add, I have part of my on-going dissertation
inside this box !!, so to put it mild, I'll get very dissapointed if I
have to redo some of the chapters I have overthere !!.

Thanks in advance,

orlando