Re: Newbie Alert

Darren,

1)
The "GNOME Workstation" installation assumes that you want to be a
standalone machine or a client of other machines, but not provide
network services (such as ftp service) to other machines.  If you had
chosen the "Custom" install instead, you would have had the chance to tell
it to include the packages for ftp service and other things.

OK, so you found that you had to add a package or two that weren't installed.
When you went to install with rpm you found it mentioned "dependencies".
Dependencies are obviosly packages which assume or rely on another package
already being installed.  As was suggested to you, simply go ahead and
install the mentioned pre-requisite package with rpm.  Since you were
able to find the anon_ftp package, you obviously know where to find the
rpm's that didn't get installed.  Someone said that "rpm is your friend".
In general. it makes installation of software so much easier.  In many cases
it is able to know what packages depend on each other and to let you know
that you need to install something else first, at least among the rpms
that come from the RedHat CD.    Now, it is possible to install software
without using rpm and rpm is not always perfect, but use rpm if you can and
life will be simpler.  By the way, the command rpm -Uvh is the same as
-ivh if something is not installed yet, but it stands for "Update", so
just in case you've already installed, it will still go ahead and install
the update.

2)
Concerning your video display configuration problem:
well, this is probably the most complicated, tricky, part of Linux
installation.  It doesn't just happen to newbies!  The only difference
sometimes is that expies know a few things to try when it doesn't work
out of the box.

One of the things suggested was to get a new version of the XFree
configuration stuff. (Also available from the redhat 6.2 beta release).
The reason is that there have been some apparent improvements in the
code that detects and configures the video hardware (e.g. knows about
more video cards).  This may do it for you.  However, there is still
no guarantee that it will work.

There are two pieces of hardware involved in the X configuration: video
adapter and monitor.  Correct configuration information must be provided
for both for things to work correctly.  First of all, the correct
video driver (called a "module") must be used.  We're all assuming that
you have a video card that is "supported" and that the correct module is
being loaded.  However, this may not be a true assumption.  The newer
version of Xconfigurator (RedHat's configurator) or Xfree86 configurator
may load a newer version of the module that might work better.  However,
there is still the problem of specifying the right parameters for your
monitor.  That can get more complicated.  Parameters such as scan rates
and resolutions need to be specified.  If you have a monitor that is
in the list, then things might be very simple.  If, however, the exact
model of your monitor is NOT in the list, then you either have to
guess one that is similiar enough that it will work, or you have to
specify the parameters by hand.  Sometimes, the "Generic Multisync"
monitor will at least work somewhat, if the monitor isn't listed.
However, you can always specify the parameters.  This can get real
tricky.

If you run Xconfigurator, write down what it thinks it finds for
a video card.  Also write down what you are telling it for a monitor.
Is the monitor model listed?  If not, you may want to ask this list
about how to specify custom monitor and maybe that will work.

The advice given is good, though.  First, try to get a newer version of
the configurator (and drivers, etc).  It might work.  If that doesn't
work, then check on the driver for your card - post to the list and
let us know what card you have and what driver is trying to be loaded.
Then, if things still don't work, let the list know about the monitor
configuration.

The one thing that is helpful when you post a question about why someting
like X installation didn't work is to include info about which card/monitor
you have and which version of OS or whatever (you at least told us RH 6.1
out of the box).  This can assist in providing an answer and cut the
number of questions down.  If you had included what kind of card you
have, we could have perhaps given you a more specific answer already.

Jerry Winegarden		OIT/Technical Support      Duke University
jbw oit duke edu 		http://www-jerry.oit.duke.edu