Re: Mount?

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 03:21:10PM -0800, Jimmie Brandon wrote:
| I am trying to install Red Hat 5.1.  I start from my
| DOS promt and get to a point in the installation
| procedure where the followinh message appears.
|
|    "You must assign a root (/) partition to a Linux
| Native partition (ext2) for the install to proceed".
|
| Please help me.  I am a novice Linux installer.
| What must I do to complete the installation process?

This is probably just after the "partition the disc" phase.

You have to allocate a partition for Linux to live on.
Aside from specifying its size, you also have to mark it as
"Linux native" and put "/" in the mount point field.
This says
	- the data in the partition is in ext2 format (Linux's main
	  filesystem format) and is to be attached at the location "/"
	  in the filesystem (the top of the tree)

Step back to the disc partitioning dialogue and check these things.
You've run into a sanity check which is there to ensure linux
installs itself on the _right_ partition, and doesn't trash come
important data elsewhere on the disc.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs zip com au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Wooflechogs: creatures that live in the Patagonian mountains which resemble
sheep but have the two legs on one side longer than the other two legs so
they can stand upright on the sides of the steep mountains.  These creatures
have steel wool instead of normal stuff, and every spring the helicopters fly
in, pick them up with large magnets, and fly them back to the flat ground,
where they run around in ever diminishing circles until they get to the
middle, where the shearing shed is, and where they are shorn to make Steelo
soap pads.
	- Jens Kieffer-Olsen <Comp2002 jk-o demon co uk>