Re: What else did RH6.1 install forget....

* Vidiot (brown mrvideo vidiot com) wrote:
> >all of the time you spend complaining about it you could have done
> >something productive to fix your problem..........the first step of
> >getting out of a hole is to stop digging...
>
> I'm just discovering that the hole is deeper with each feature that I used
> to have under 6.0 that didn't come up under 6.1.  I didn't dig that hole.
>
> I was in a situation that required a complete reload.  So I figured that
> it would be a good time to go from 6.0 to 6.1.  Mistake #1.

Not a mistake by any means. Keeping up to date with your distro is
important, in terms of productivity and security.

> I borrowed the Linux 6.1 CD from a friend who had cut an image.  No
> manuals.  Mistake #2.

Yes. Exactly. Your mistake. You obviously needed the manuals, didn't
you?

> Created the boot floppy and booted to the installer.  Ran auto.
> Mistake #3.

Yes. A mistake to run it without reading the warning, or having the
documentation with you that tells you about it.

A mistake to run auto anyway, really. You claim to have run redhat
since 4.x, you should be able to cope with custom by now, no?

> At that point, there was no bringing up 6.0 to go out
> to the RedHat site, as the 6.1 installer wiped it out.

No, you did.

> So, I had to continue
> with 6.1 custom.  I believed that the 6.1 installation would provide the
> same level of installation support as 6.0 did.  Mistake #4.

It's only crime was to put off a couple of admin tasks until the sytem
booted, and to expect you to (a) remember what they were, or (b) look
them up in the docs.

> The fact that the installation did not configure the printer port or the
> sound card was certainly a hole that I did not dig.  That hole was dug
> by the installer.  I would certainly like to know how it is my fault that
> the installation didn't ask me to configure a printer or sound card.

The printer thing is in the gotchas. As many people have pointed out.

> I didn't have the time to sit down and fetch 6.1 documentation and study
> it word for word.  I had a system that was down that had to get back up.
> I relied upon the previous installs of Linux and what they did.  I did
> not expect for the installer to do what it did and what it didn't do.
>
> The 4.x, 5.x and 6.0 installs went so much smoother and better than 6.1.
> Each newer version of RedHat Linux improved upon the previous install.
> If it is my fault for expecting the same type of installation in 6.1 as
> was provided in previous releases, I plead guilty.  IMHO, the 6.1 installer
> was a step backwards in various aspects of what it did.

There is nothing wrong with getting people into a running system as
quickly as possible. The old installers used to ask people questions
that they weren't ready to answer. So much better to get the system up
and running with the basics, and let you configure the rest once
you're in there. Typing sndconfig is *not* hard. Especially for
someone who claims to have been using redhat since 4.x and should know
about it.

> Needless to say, I will never trust another RedHat installation again.

Oh! The melodrama!

> And that is NOT what RedHat should expect.  They should gain more trust
> from their customers, not less.  FYI, a RedHat customer is anyone who
> either purchases any of their packages, downloads and cuts their own CD,
> gets a RedHat CD from a third party or friend.  If it has the RedHat name
> involved with it, whoever uses it is a customer.

So if I download 5% of the files on the ftp site, and leave the rest,
and the installation fails, I can blame redhat? I think not!

You clearly need documentation. You can't figure this stuff out for
yourself, even though you've been using the product a long time.
You clearly needed to get docs burnt onto the cd too. Not doing so
was your mistake. *Please* stop trying to blame other people for it?

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | gilbertt btinternet com       |