Re: localhost.localdomain:0.0 refused by server

You should be executing /sbin/shutdown.  If you just type "shutdown" then
that will execute /usr/bin/shutdown, which is a link to consolehelper,
which is what you are seeing.

So to reboot a redhat box its: /sbin/shutdown -r now

Nothing is broken on your box.