Catch 22 for Linux and ATA66?

Hi,

Am I correct that there is a catch 22 for linux and ATA66 IDE
connections on motherboards?.

I recently purchased and ABIT board that has 2 ata33 ide connectors and
2 ata66 ide connectors.

My hard drive is an ATA66 drive plugged into the ATA66 IDE connector.

When I tried to install Linux the other day it didnt seem to recognize
the ATA66 ide connector and therefore complained it could not find the
hard drive.

I understand that there are some kernel versions that recognize ATA66,
but I am assuming the currently stock RH release does not have that yet.

So this somehow would mean linux would have to be on the  hard drive
before a new kernel with ATA66 recognition could get installed.

Am I correct? Is there a way around this catch 22?