NFS behind a firewall ?

I'm thinking of setting up NFS on my network.  I've read various pieces of
documentation about NFS.  I've seen the explanation of the acronym NFS=No
F.... Security, etc.  However, I still have a question in my mind about it
that I've not seen addressed.

If NFS is setup behind a firewall that you trust AND you trust the users on
the network (basically yourself) then how secure is NFS ?  Can someone
enlighten me ?

Any pointers to web resources other than the standard HOW-TOs are
appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike