Re: PCMCIA?

"Darius X. Desiderio" wrote:

> Hi! I am new to Linux... and I have a problem ;) After {re}installing
> Win98 on /hda1/ and making the appropriate changes to LILO, I noticed
> a conspicuous lack of audible bells during Linux boot. And, not
> surprisingly ppp0 was unresponsive, although '/sbin/ifup ppp0' does
> create a pid which '/sbin/ifdown ppp0' can kill. I suspected that it
> may have been an interrupt problem only because I have been tooling
> around with sndconfig and conf.modules ( BTW anyone have advice for
> SOLO 2500 with NeoMagic MagicWave 3Dx), but stopping sound and
> removing all sound entries from conf.modules had no effect. Pppd
> manages to initialize the modem( as root in X) , but then.... nothing.
> The Xircom creditcard CM56T was automatically detected when I
> installed RH6.0 at the end of January and has never been a problem. It
> works fine from Win98 ( I would not be able to post this otherwise).
> I'm forgetting something, well anyway .... Basic problem: no response
> from modem Is it a PCMCIA problem and did the Winstall98 have
> _anything_ to do with it?   thanks-dxdEOF

Hello Darius.  I'm running RedHat 6.1 on a Gateway 2500.  See
http://www.virtual-attorney.com/linux/gw2500.html for some general
information that may help you.  It sounds to me as though you may need
to tweak your pcmcia config.  I doubt seriously that the Win98 install
had anything to do with your problem.  More likely than not, your sound
config got in the way.
--
steve