Re: major number error on fd0?

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Bob Hartung wrote:

>   Then in your example is the '1' the major number and the '2' the
> minor number?  And then what is the significance of the error
> message?  I am having trouble mounting a blank diskette with
>    mount -t vfat /dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy
> when I receive the error.

The major number is 2 and minor is 0, as far as I know, but I'm not sure!

Post the results of your system, when you type this command:

$ ls -l /dev/fd0

Mine shows:

[ryan localhost]:[~]$ ls -l /dev/fd0
brw-rw----    1 ryan     floppy     2,   0 Aug 24  2000 /dev/fd0

Your floppy is a block special file as defined in the info page for
mknod.  The mount command you were attempting works for me on a DOS
formatted diskette.  I have seen that error before though, but don't
remember where.

$ info mknod

Creating the file /dev/fd0 would be done when your system is installed.
If it is corrupted, you could possibly restore it from the rpm it came
from (rpm -qf /dev/fd0 to find out), or you could recreate it using mknod.
I can't explain how to do either, sorry.

--
Ryan Camick                                Homepage/FTP: endless.eu.org
Guelph, Ontario, Canada               "Don't quote me on that, I'm new"