VNC & GDM

I have VNC and GDM running on my local computer, but we are wanting to
install it on a server and want to disable the local x server and just
enable gdm so that it will respond to vnc connections via xdmcp. I have
hosts.deny and hosts.allow setup to only allow connections from the local
machine and block port 177.

My question is what is the proper method to start gdm in run level 3?

There do not appear to be any init scripts and in run level 5 I believe it
is started by inittab.

Thanks,
Chad