Computer crashing

Rhugga redhat at zulu420.com
Thu May 6 22:27:32 UTC 2004

Roy Augustine wrote:
> with a deafault insatallation there may be lots of processes running in the background, started automatically in the system startup.
>
> list the processes using "ps -ea " and try disabling some not required at the time.
>
> continues disk activity means heavy swap operations.
>
> cheers.....
> roy
>
> --- denniswj at iinet.net.au wrote:
>
> I have redhat 9 on my computer and have problems where every four hours, I have
> to reboot the computer otherwise it will lock up.When it does lock up there's
> continued activity withe hard drive.
>
> I do not have any other software only redhat text version no GUI and only use
> it for VOIP IRLP.Other users of the software have not indicated that there is a
> problem that may cause the leak.
>
> I have 128 megs RAM 40 GIG hard drive (new) with a 350mhz processor I am told
> by the
> Developers of the VOIP software that the 128 mb ram is far above whats needed to
> run software.
>
> Not being a full on linux i can only guess my suspicions.
>
> I suspect that it is a memory leak problem and can anyone suggest a fix for this
> problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dennis James
> Scone
> Australia

Start collecting system stats in regular intervals, like every 60
seconds, capture memmory stats, process stats, etc.... Then whent he
crash occurs, start looking at the snapshots leading up to the crash.

(tools use would use are sar, iostat, vmstat, strace, truss) Someone of
those may be solaris equivalents, I can recall.... btw Dont rely on top
for gathering performance metrics.

-keg