How do I request to get hardware supported?

Tobias Speckbacher tspeckbacher at quova.com
Mon May 2 18:48:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 12:39 -0600, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> I need to find out how to get my hardware supported by redhat?
> My company sells ClearCube blades http://www.clearcube.com/controller/home.php and our customers are requesting Redhat support. Is there any way to get in contact with someone capable of telling me the procedure of getting redhat supported on this hardware.
>
> Fedora works with no problems Redhat on the otherhand is flaky. Problem exists because there is no ps/2 keyboard and only usb.
> Problems and notes:
> EL3 default install is a pain in the butt.
> I seam to recall I had to somehow get it to use the smp kernel
> Problem with the 2.4.x kernel is that when you load the uhci usb driver that the ohci usb driver has problems loading.
> Both are needed the CDROM must be plugged into one chipset and the keyboard the other. The keyboard's usb is flaky so plugging a cdrom into this would be a bad thing.

Filing a bug against the OS you having an issue with would be the first
step is my guess.

> EL4 with the 2.6.x kernel didn't work like fedora did.
> Somehow the idiots there at redhat made sure it wasn't going to work on the ClearCube Blades without lots of extra effort.

A new and creative way to ask for help ? I need to try that someday your
approach seems to hold promise to extort help from a vendor.
By the description of your issue it looks more like a bug than lack of
support, pretty sure they didn't go out of their way to make your life
miserable.