How can I use the remote tape drive to take backup of a filesystem in RHEL server.

Paul Dwerryhouse paul at dwerryhouse.com.au
Tue Feb 28 12:18:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 04:26:17PM +0530, unix syzadmin wrote:
> We have a RHEL AS 3 server, whose file system need to be backed up.  We
> donot have a tape drive on it.  We have a tape drive on another remote
> server (AIX, /dev/rmt0).
>
> How can I use the remote tape drive to take backup of a filesystem in RHEL
> server.

There's plenty of ways of doing this. You could try using a free backup
system such as Amanda (http://www.amanda.org/) or Bacula
(http://www.bacula.org/); or one of many commercial alternatives
(Legato, Veritas, Arkeia, etc)

A simple, but more difficult to manage, solution would be to write a
bunch of shell scripts using rdump, or to be slightly more secure, using
tar with ssh & dd.

Eg, tar cf - / | ssh remotehost dd of=/dev/rmt0

Make sure you've set up your ssh keys first...

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584