Re: system won't reboot

Dana Holland wrote:
I'm having another issue with the same system. When we issue a "shutdown -Fr now", the system won't reboot on it's own - we have to physically turn off the server and turn it back on. On the screen it hangs at the line "Restarting the system". I've tried going through the various logs to find a clue, but the only thing unusual I'm seeing is this, which is found in boot.log.

Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: ø'^E^H^P¶]·^P
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A:
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: ^D
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: facility local7
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: ^B
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A:
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A:
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: ^E
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: ^B
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A:
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: ^G
Jan 12 09:05:37 astp ^A: `å^G^H(¶]· roo^Y

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find our problem?

If everything else is fine, then this may be a power issue. Have a look at tweaking ACPI related parameters. There may even be some boot options which en(dis)able certain things to make this work.

Often a new BIOS can fix these issues also.

Regards,
Ed.