Re: rename Redhat server

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Atul Tyagi wrote:

I want to rename my Redhat servers.
Which control and replacement i must do?

Change the host name in the folowing file /etc/sysconfig/network. set the
parameter "HOSTNAME" and reboot. To change it in runtime just issue the
following command on root prompt
sysctl kernel.hostname=<new_hostname> and relogin.

I believe you might be missing the "-w" that tells sysctl to "write" this value. I would use "sysctl -w kernel.hostname=<new_hostname>" .. alternatively, you could type "hostname <new_hostname>" and re-login. Either way, the HOSTNAME paramater in /etc/sysconfig/network must be changed as well.

Barry