ulimit error while changing max files to unlimited: PAM / sshd options?

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Wed Aug 25 21:19:10 UTC 2010

Yes, ulimit only lets you set a number up to the hard
limit that is set for your shell.  Both hard and soft
limits are set to 1024 by default unless the limits.conf
file has been configured _before_ the shell is started.

I know this works with numbers, since I set hard and
soft limits to 10240 for select users.  Try using a
number less than the total for the system instead of
unlimited.