Can adding users be disabled.

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Feb 9 16:47:14 UTC 2010

Marti, Robert wrote:
> The question needs to be asked - if you can't trust root, who can you
> trust?

Or, for that matter, you could just rm /usr/sbin/useradd... but root can
manually create a user with no problem at all... lessee, edit /etc/passwd,
create the home directory, set permissions, add to /etc/groups....

Why do you think you need to keep the root account from creating users?

	mark
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 9, 2010, at 6:34, "TYURIN Aleksey"
> <Aleksey.TYURIN at raiffeisen.ru> wrote:
>
>> Yes, you can use simple methods: "rm /usr/sbin/useradd" or "chmod a-
>> x /usr/sbin/useradd". But this only disable, but not deny.
>> root-user can copy "useradd" binary file from another server and set
>> execute bit.
>>
>> SELinux can deny operation useradd even for the root-user.
>> Restart the server, in my opinion, is not required. But the need to
>> restart several services and remounting of file systems.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>

>> AT

The 21st Century Republican Party: "with malice toward all, and charity toward
none."