[redhat-lspp] Re: cups userspace -- trusted programs?

Matt Anderson mra at hp.com
Mon Jun 5 18:10:57 UTC 2006

Michael C Thompson wrote:
>>> Personally, I think these tools should generate messages since they
>>> are a source for leaking information, and therefore should be
>>> restricted to administrators.

I don't think they should be considered a source for leaking
information.  The only thing I see isn't a leak so much as a (extremely
low bandwidth) covert channel of "is the printer enabled or disabled?"
Since the use of these programs is restricted, we're covered under
no-evil-admin.

> Aside from what is *required*, I thought it would be a good thing to log
> the queue/printer enable/disable. However, if cups is logging that, I'm
> not sure it is worth being redundant in our logs.

As long as LogLevel is set to info or higher you'll get a message in
/var/log/cups/error_log like:

[Timestamp] Printer 'foo' stopped by 'root'.

I think I agree with you that its probably not worth being redundant,
but if for someone finds a requirement for this to go to the audit log I
don't see any issues around adding that.

-matt