ssh problem

David Ernst drernst at bloomington.in.us
Fri Nov 4 18:42:59 UTC 2005

Or, how about this:

most (all?) redhat installations include a default /etc/crontab that's
something like this:

01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

So, write a script to start sshd and put it, executable, into the
/etc/cron.hourly directory.  If starting sshd doesn't work, you could
still use this trick to try a variety of other things that people have
described (starting/enabling telnet, generating reports that might
suggest why it's not working, etc.)  You could even write a
script/daemon that would check very frequently for new files uploaded
into another directory, which would basically give you capability to
run whatever command you want.  If that description isn't clear, let
me know, I'll send a mock-up of the kind of thing I mean.

Good luck,

David