Re: [rhelv5-list] Simple Steps To Mount NTFS In RHEL 5

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Mohd Irwan Jamaluddin wrote:

> Good day guys,
>
> I wrote a simple howto in [1]my blog on how to mount NTFS in RHEL 5. I
> really appreciate your comments and suggestions.
>
> Below are the steps,
>
> 1. Download fuse & ntfs-3g
> fuse: get it from http://www.atrpms.net/dist/el5/fuse/
> ntfs-3g: get it from http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/fuse-ntfs-3g/

Is there a reason why you do not use the fuse-package from RPMforge
(dag.wieers.com) ?

> 2. Install fuse components
> [root meister ~]# rpm -ivh fuse-2.6.5-2_7.el5.x86_64.rpm \
> > fuse-kmdl-2.6.18-8.1.3.el5xen-2.6.5-2_7.el5.x86_64.rpm \
> > fuse-libs-2.6.5-2_7.el5.x86_64.rpm

I have made a dkms-fuse package available. Granted, it does require dkms
and a compiler to be available and is not a plug&play solution as the
kmdl, but it doesn't have the problem that a kernel upgrade takes away
your ntfs abilities.

Overall, my intention is to have dkms packages available for all the
drivers that I'll add support for in the future.

On top of that, the dkms-fuse package also works on other distributions,
including FC and older EL releases.

> 3. Install fuse-ntfs-3g
> [root meister ~]# rpm -ivh fuse-ntfs-3g-1.417-1.el4.rf.x86_64.rpm

Why do you take the EL4 package to use it on EL5 ? There is an EL5 package
available as well.

Installing the rpmforge-release package will automaticaly configure apt
and yum and installs everything. You'd end up doing:

	apt-get install dkms-fuse fuse fuse-ntfs-3g
or
	yum install dkms-fuse fuse fuse-ntfs-3g

and everything is automatically taken care of, using the correct
distribution.

You may want to install the ym protectbase (or priorities) plugin to
protect your base distribution from updating to newer RPMforge packages.

> 4. Mount
> [root meister ~]# mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sda9 /mnt/temp
>
> Acknowledgements:
> ATrpms - provide RPM package for fuse
> Dag Wieers - provide RPM package for ntfs-3g
>
> [1] http://blog.irwan.name/36/simple-steps-to-mount-ntfs-in-rhel-5/

Thanks for writing up an HOWTO.

PS There are other interesting fuse filesystems like fuse-encfs,
fuse-davfs2, fuse-smb, fuse-sshfs and fuse-unionfs that deserve an HOWTO
as well. Maybe you can make an HOWTO that explains it for all the
different fuse filesystems in a single document ?

Also for anyone experimenting with fuse, if you have improvements to any
of the packages or you know of any whortwhile fuse filesystems that I'm
lacking, let me know.

Thanks in advance !
--   dag wieers,  dag wieers com,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --