Re: [rhelv5-list] virt-install 's with --ram >= 4G

Vu Pham <vu    > writes:

> I try to add a new guest into my KVM RHRL 5.5 x86_64 server. This server
> has 32G of memory and currently all other guests are not running.
>
> When using the command line virt-install with 4G ( or more ) of memory
> for the guest as the below command, I get the error "could not query
> memory balloon allocation". When I change it to 2048 or 3072 the command
> works fine.
>
> Using virt-manager ( the X interface ) to add a new guest with startup
> memory of 8G works fine too.
>
> (Note : this is a KVM ( not Xen ) server. The server and LVs get their
> names from the previous installation)
>
> [root <at> xen1 ~]#  virt-install -n telework2 -r 4096 --vcpus=4 --disk
> path=/dev/VgXen00/LvTelework2  --os-type=linux --os-variant=rhel5.4 -l
> http://192.168.249.232/rhel5_64 -b br0
>
> Starting install...
> Retrieving file .treeinfo...    |  442 B     00:00
> Retrieving file vmlinuz...      | 1.9 MB     00:00
> Retrieving file initrd.img...   | 7.7 MB     00:00
> Creating domain...              |    0 B     00:00
> libvir: QEMU error : operation failed: could not query memory balloon
> allocation
> libvir: QEMU error : Domain not found: no domain with matching id 2
> libvir: QEMU error : Domain not found: no domain with matching name '2'
> libvir: QEMU error : Domain not found: no domain with matching id 2
> libvir: QEMU error : Domain not found: no domain with matching name '2'
> libvir: QEMU error : Domain not found: no domain with matching id 2
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Vu

Hi Vu,
I had the same problem, when installing with virt-install. Even when I created
the guest with less memory and wanted to increase it afterwards from
virt-manager, it threw error.

The reason was, that virt-install creates the guest as
<domain type='qemu'>
and when you create a guest from virt-manager and choose kvm, then you have
<domain type='kvm'>

So I've just changed the domain type in the guest xml
(/etc/libvirt/qemu/guest.xml) and memory change goes fine.
(Or you could use -virt-type=kvm, but my actual virt-install doesn't support it)

Hope this helps,
Tomas