Re: opteron ?

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 00:06, James Ralston wrote:
> If you want to build inexpensive AMD64 systems, wait until the Athlon
> 64 is launched.  Opterons are all about building servers.

This is exactly the point though.  $The_next_version will be used in many many
places as a server, for heavy server duties.  AMD64 isn't an option there, as
it's a desktop processor.  We have customers CURRENTLY that refuse to use
SuSE and continue to use GinGin64 (Opteron compiled version of RHL9) even
though there is no support and no errata because they want opterons, and they
want Red Hat Linux as their server.

I think there is a potential userbase, but you can't get a userbase w/out a
product.  Chicken/Egg syndrome all over again *sigh*

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: