Initial impressions

Last night I installed the severn beta on my $229 Fry's computer, a Duron 1100 with sis chipset - (I did add 512 MB RAM and an nvidia GeForce however).

The install was smooth and quick, and everything was detected. The choices were a bit more streamlined, and I could not make the fine grained choices that were possible in earlier versions, but the "everything" install is still an option and I suppose the kickstart method can still be used for ultimate customizability...

I was gratified to see postfix v2.0.11 among the updated packages, that's a big help.

All in all, it looks good - the desktop seems quite snappy at first glance; I will be trying out multimedia and 2.6 test kernels and will report back -

Joe