Re: Graphical boot isn't so graphical

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 01:29:52PM -0400, Thomas Corriher wrote:
> Benjamin Vander was correct.  It is the graphical booting which is
> more likely to cause boot problems, or allow serious problems to go
> unnoticed during the boot process.  It is a bad design decision
> from a technical perspective.  However, it is good marketing and
> seems more welcoming to newbies.

It is not a marketing decision - the boot messages do show up as a
real usability problem, and usability is one of the primary objectives
of Red Hat Linux. It is one of our main technical goals.

When something is a usability plus for nontechnical users and a
usability minus for technical users, we're always going to default
to the nontechnical setting, because technical users have the skills
to "opt out" and change the default.

Havoc