Re: Speeding up boot process

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 18:29, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jean-Eric Cuendet (jec rptec ch) said:
> > >
> > > It's been tested. It didn't appreciably help.
> >
> > OK, but is a speedup of boot process planned?
> > How? I'm sure a simple solution could be implemented easily.
>
> Have you tried? If so, we'd love to hear simple solutions. :)
>
> It's not that we're not interested. It's just all the ways
> so far tried to speed up the *entire* bootup process (not
> just get a faster X up) haven't really been successful at
> all.

IMO, the important thing is not to get the system up quickly, it's to
get X up and running quickly.
It's to be able to login quickly, not that the last service started is
available.
Take WinXP, they boot very quickly to allow the user to lgin quickly,
not that SQL Server is available quickly. And THAT makes the difference.
-jec