Re: Checking sendmail.cf file at boot time

Robert L Cochran wrote:

Spam is one of the biggest problems on the internet. That's why I'm so
interested in MTA's.

I want to play with postfix to see if it is better than sendmail, or at
least easier to use...

I switched to postfix a few months ago and have some perspective w.r.t. sendmail -

1. Postfix is more efficient and behaves better under heavy load
2. Postfix is smaller and more modular - presents less of a target
3. Postfix makes some things easy, which are painful on sendmail
4. It's a drop-in replacement, calling programs won't know the difference.

On the down side, there are just a few nits:

1. Postfix doesn't have the "mailstats" command - however pflogsumm mostly makes up for that
2. Postfix doesn't do DSN on success - the author claims that would "double" the size of postfix

On the whole, I like it - I'm sure others can add their thoughts...

Joe