Re: more system failures with Severn.... (on an Athlon)

Ethan Bonick wrote:

2.6 prerelease kernel.  I guess this means serious problems for the AMD
here.  Compared to most of 'em on the list, I'm running a fairly "old"
(about 4 years): AMD Athlon,  nVidia (3 D Labs) card, and Viewsonic 17.

Before my last crash and burn, I tried installing the nVidia drivers,
and it could not create the needed module. Sounds logical though, since
I imagine there would be some need of updating or patching to support
the present kernel in Severn.

I installed 2.6.0-test1 one today on ath 700 over ssh and rebooted the machine, it came up fine and i just ssh'd in to check it. Granted I am not running anything on it yet. I also did to my ath 1800 and rebooted, but it didnt come back up. So its not "old" hardware causing it. I also have rage128 pro vid on the 700. Will try beta on my ibm 600E later and maybe I can have sound again wiht 2.6 kernel.

I took a clue from Bill Nottingham who was responding to a message regading
kernel oopses with AMD's and the Taroon beta. Looks like the same case for
AMD and Severn...