Re: joysick...

I was not thinking of the enterprize... Besides, Microsoft's Enterprize solutions do have this and many other nice-to-have features. I agree that an organization may not make their OS choice based on the presence of a tool to configure joysticks -- but the presence of such a tool does add to the overall impression of the product; how complete it is.

Mike A. Harris wrote:
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, stephan schutter wrote:

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:14:26 -0500
From: stephan schutter <rhl farorbit com>
To: rhl-beta-list redhat com
Subject: Re: joysick...

Well... I just thought that one might want to cover all bases... Geeks play games right? Anyway, S.u.S.E has included such a tool in Yast... Why not copy them? Or mandrake... Desktop OSes ought to have tools to configur all common harware; i thing anyway...

For starters, SuSE's YAST tool, isn't open source to my knowledge. Red Hat isn't likely to devote engineering resources to something useful only for playing video games. Someone theoretically could do it in their spare time, but having it designated as a must-have solution for the enterprise is unlikely.

It's just not something I can see us spending money developing internally. It does however make perfect sense being developed by someone sufficiently motivated to volunteer and write such a tool cleanly, or suggest an existing one. (Or convince someone else to write one.)

Perfectly fits into the community nature of the project for such a motivated individual.