Re: Use of labels in grub.conf

Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings;

This is a resend, from my home account, no idea how it was sent thru the work account, which of course bounced...

My old 233mhz P-II needs all the help it can get, so I was compiling a stripped down kernel. But I couldn't boot to it (no initrd, just modules) using the root=LABEL=/ in the grub command line.

Fooled with it for several hours, then decided to use root=/dev/hda8 (home of the / partition) instead. Worked first time.

What is it that allows the default FC2T3 kernel to use labels while its booting, but when I duplicate the grub entry but with the newer vmlinuz name, I have to use root=/dev/hda8?

Or is this a real bug?

LABEL=xxx is handled by the initrd created by mkinitrd. Ext2 must be built in to the kernel for it to work.

--
				Brian Gerst