Re: Weird failure related to Nautilus

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 10:01 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 5/30/06, Rodd Clarkson <rodd clarkson id au> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Recently I've been noticing weird lock-ups of applications (usually
> > starting with Nautilus) that eventually leaves the desktop unresponsive,
> > along with no access to the virtual terminals (F1-F6).
> >

> I think a lot more information will be needed:
>
> 1) What version of Fedora (Rawhide or FC6)?

FC5 (using updates testing).

> 2) What kernel/nautilus/etc

[rodd localhost ~]$ rpm -q kernel nautilus
kernel-2.6.16-1.2122_FC5 (tainted with nvidia from rpm.livna.org)
nautilus-2.14.1-1.fc5.1

[rodd localhost ~]$ rpm -q gtk2 gnome-panel hal dbus gamin gnome-vfs2
gtk2-2.8.18-1
gnome-panel-2.14.1-1.fc5.1
hal-0.5.7-3.fc5.3
dbus-0.61-3.fc5.1
gamin-0.1.7-1.2.1
gnome-vfs2-2.14.2-1

> 3) What kind of upstream networking do you have? Does it have a proxy
> or something that owuld introduce a large latency causing things to
> sit in Device Wait?

Wireless internal network (in a house) with ADSL 512/128.  The router
works as a firewall, but there's no proxying going on (that I'm aware
of.)

The transfer speed for the files being downloaded was acceptable.

Could this have something to do with the file monitor thingee (gamin???)
pooping it's pants with the number (or size) of the downloads and then
resulting in a lockup of other gnome apps???

R.

 It's much better on my side"